Corporate Legal Counsel
As one of the fastest growing companies in BC and Deloitte’s 2016 Technology Fast 500™ in North America, and having just secured a $95M strategic growth investment, PDFTron is an industry-leading provider of document processing technology that powers everything from traditional desktop software (like AutoCAD), to web apps (like DocuSign), and mobile apps (like Xodo).
PDFTron is actively changing the way people work with documents by being the graphics engine of choice for thousands of companies world-wide, within virtually all industry verticals.
We foster an atmosphere of opportunity, growth, and success for every single individual amidst an exciting, challenging and entrepreneurial culture where career progression is based on merit, not tenure. Guided by a clear company vision, every member of our vibrant team is empowered to be a contributor, innovator and successful leader.
Corporate Legal Counsel
We are looking for an approachable and business-savvy lawyer who can serve as PDFTron’s in-house corporate legal counsel. The ideal candidate thrives in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, and is passionate about delivering exceptional legal work while helping PDFTron build mutually-beneficial agreements with its clients, and providing legal guidance to the overall business strategy.
- Complete/draft and negotiate inbound/outbound license agreements, NDAs, services agreements, amendments, assignments, and other forms of agreements with customers internationally.
- Support sales and sales operations teams with RFP responses, and completing various supplier forms.
- Collaborate with various teams and internal stakeholders to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes.
- Provide legal support throughout the customer lifecycle to ensure continued compliance with laws and regulations and customer success while mitigating legal risks and ensuring adherence to corporate policies. Proactively identify and communicate legal and business impacts of agreements in place and in contemplation.
- Support the business in contract negotiations and compliance related matters for North America, the EU and APAC regions.
- Undertake a review process to re-draft and optimize PDFTron agreements where necessary to meet customer expectations and reduce legal negotiation, while protecting PDFTron’s business and meeting corporate requirements.
- Provide coaching and training to internal sales team members on legal terms and how they may affect business terms and vice versa.
- Work collaboratively with external legal counsel where required.
- Maintain and manage an up-to-date listing of all legal agreements and obligations.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the company and its mission, strategy, values, and products.
- A J.D. or LL.B. with strong academic credentials and a license to practice law in Canada and/or a US law degree and/or a US call to the bar.
- 4+ years of relevant legal experience, which should include in-house experience supporting sales teams as internal clients.
- Tech-savvy, entrepreneurial attitude with a passion for working in a fast-paced technology company.
- Experience in drafting and negotiating technology-related agreements.
- Superb negotiation skills with the ability to understand the interplay of legal and business terms, and to advocate a strong position while maintaining a positive relationship with the other party.
- Sound and practical business judgement that balances legal risk and business opportunity and the ability to think "outside-the-box" to deliver creative and pragmatic business solutions.
- Ability to grasp legal and business issues and provide tailored advice in plain language to non-legal stakeholders on both sides.
- Service-oriented attitude, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build collaborative business relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Impeccable attention to detail, highly organized and able to self-motivate and work independently.
- Ability to engage quickly, provide timely advice and produce high quality work in a professional and courteous manner while managing multiple priorities, stakeholders and deadlines.
- Ability to work and thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment.
Nice to Have
- Familiarity and experience with Canadian, US, EU and APAC privacy and data protection regulations and requirements.
- Fluent in other languages.
- A good sense of humour!
The ideal candidate will be based in Vancouver, or willing to relocate to Vancouver to collaboratively work at our headquarters.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience & qualifications.
- A great team environment and resources, supporting you to do the best work of your life and providing unlimited career growth potential.
- Highly autonomous environment.
- Excellent work-life balance.
- Convenient location in downtown Vancouver, close to rapid transit.
- Diverse and inclusive workplace where we all learn from each other.
Ready to join our team?
If you are interested in helping PDFTron deliver on its commitments and taking your career to the next level, we invite you to apply online now.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in PDFTron.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.